this is to keep you all up to date with what i am up to in africa and for you to fill me in on what exciting things you are doing!!

Thursday, February 16, 2006

the last month and all the exciting things

I am sorry it been so long since I blogged, the last month has been CRAZY!!! Good crazy though, many exciting things have happened, I will briefly take you through them.
At the end of Jan mum and dad came for 12 days which was great, we had a really busy time. They got to see and do lots in Mbale and with the project and then we had a good time on safari and saw lots of animals, especially loads of hippos which I think are very cool creatures.


The next very exciting thing is that we actually started the project!!! We had our open day when mum and dad were here. We invited all the identified girls and their families and key people in the local commmuniy. It was held on the land , under the tree! We had speeches from all the key people and them served everyone lunch and a soda. Then all the grown ups left and we did our first session with the girls which was great.



I did one more session with the girls and then I was away with mum and dad on safari, so when I got back I noticed a huge difference in the girls and have just done a full week with them now which has been such fun. They are responding really well to the programme. They are defiantly the right girls as they all come from such troubled back grounds, most can not read and write and some can not speak English and have very basic knowledge of the local language.
I am now very inspired to try loads harder with my luganda and become fluent, very soon!!! I am getting very good at the international sign language in the mean time though!!!

2 Comments:

Blogger Hoylus said...

Good to hear from you Jess - glad the programme has got off to a good start - oh and apparently hippos are deadly - be careful!

2:45 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds great, hope things keep growing in God's strength. Jo x

2:18 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home