this is to keep you all up to date with what i am up to in africa and for you to fill me in on what exciting things you are doing!!

Thursday, November 17, 2005

Training and excitment!

I went to kampala after my relaxing weekend at hairy lemon to go for a course on how to do children’s work, it was really good, most people on the course were Ugandans so it was great to get an insight into how they see youth work, discipline seemed to be the key word they used! Lets put it this way, I really enjoyed myself but my patience defiantly grew that week!
An exciting but kind of scary thing happened on my last day of the course, I was travelling into town and got off near the centre where I changed transport, as I did this I thought oh something’s going on here, one of the main streets was deserted and a police truck came whizzing past me and one of the police officers had a gas mask on which not know what was going on, I found very amusing, thinking this is a completely random country! But it all becomes clear as I jump on the back of the motorbike that took me to my course, we went passed the university and there were loads of armed police and debris on the road, just as we have gone passed that we got diverted to another road, as we turn I see why, there are loads of people running towards us and covering their faces, the bodha man tells me it is tear gas. When I get to my course, I discussed the event with two guys from my course and they tell me that the students are rioting and they usually do this at least once a year, but they have genuine reason as their fees have nearly tripled in price but they lose a lot of their credibility as they get really violent and looted shops, burned cars, so not a good situation, as they explain this to me we hear gun shots in the distant. One person got killed that day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home