this is to keep you all up to date with what i am up to in africa and for you to fill me in on what exciting things you are doing!!

Thursday, July 21, 2005

Hello everyone
Just want to say sorry for not blogging for ages, the internet access has been down at the house most of this week.
Well since I have got back from Kampala I have been up to a few things, our house has been lent a bike which was great so I could cycle to church on Sunday which I discovered is technically quite difficult in a skirt, I think I managed it without the whole of mbale seeing up the skirt!! You get a lot of attention for being a muzungu (what white people are called) here anyway but being one on a bike seems very funny to people I pasted by.
I have been doing resources for the project this week as the guy that I am working with is away on a training for this week, so I am just planning part of the life skills programme that we will teach once the programme is up and running.
The most exciting thing that I have done this week was yesterday climb a mountain, mount wanle! It was an amazing day saw the most amazing country side, spectacular view, waterfalls and even a few monkeys in the distance. Physically it was a really hard climb, we were out walking for 7 hours and I am felling it today in. I am walking around like an old lady! which everyone else I finding very funny. we live at the bottom of this mountain and I have a view of it out of my bedroom window and you can see it from where ever you are in Mbale. When we got back to Vincent (the guy that yook us up the mountain) and Graces’, grace had prepared us a traditional Ugandan dish which tasted amazing and was well appreciated by us all. I was in bed by 9.30 that evening!
I feel I should tell you a bit about where I am staying. I am living in a really nice part of the town in the outskirts, the prime minister has one of his houses a couple up from us! I have been very blessed with the house, it has got a nice garden for the three dogs that I live with to run around. I am getting used to them but I still find them a bit scary, they are essentially guard dogs so are meant to be scary! We have running water and electricity, that does regularly cut out though, normally in the evenings, a couple of times a week. We don’t have TV which is really nice so am really lots, I may come back really intelligent!! I am here for 6 months defiantly and will see what happens after that. I am living which really nice people who I have a good laugh with and keep me entertained.

I am going to Saturday to see the kids club that the year out team run which is in the area where I will be working and where we have bought the land for the project. So I will get some photo for you so you can picture it a bit better and will fill you in more on the project then
Jx

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

sounds great jess - i say post up as many photos as you can-the more the merrier! - i want to see everything - the housse, the view from your window, the people you are with, church, the dogs, the food go all out! will help us imagine where your adventures are taking place.
love hannah x x x

2:19 am

 

Post a Comment

<< Home